Tuesday, April 16, 2013

LTMOOC 2013 Introduction

I have heard so much about MOOCs this last year and even know that there is a MOOC for learning Spanish that I was intrigued to learn that there will be MOOC for language teachers using a platform known as Instreamia. Administrators at my university talked about the possibility of having open courses and the reactions were divided among the faculty. I have also followed some other faculty that are using MOOCs to teach language (see for example, Fernando Rubio's post on his Spanish MOOC), but nothing like experience this new trend in education yourself. So here I am, participating in the MOOC for language teachers. My first assignment is introducing myself:


  • Where are you from? I am from Caracas, Venezuela, but currently living and working in Flagstaff, AZ.

  • What’s your background? I have been teaching for almost 24 years. I have taught English in Venezuela at different educational levels and Spanish in the U.S.  I also teach linguistic courses and graduate classes in the MAT in Spanish at NAU.

  • What is your native language? My L1 is Spanish What others do you speak? English 

  • What language(s) do you teach? I teach Spanish

  • Where do you teach? I teach at Northern Arizona University

  • What do you hope to get out of LTMOOC? I hope to learn how new technologies and open education can serve different kind of students in their achievement of specific language learning goals.

  • What hobbies or activities do you like to do? I love hiking, trail running, scrapbooking and traveling. 

2 comments:

  1. Hola Yuly. I have read many of your tweets which I find incredibly helpful and amazing. It is nice to "meet" you and I look forward to being able to learn from your wealth of experience. This MOOC will be an adventure for many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello cjh09,
    I am so glad we can exchange resources and I am excited to share with so many great teachers this MOOC.

    ReplyDelete